It is our great pleasure to invite you to the international seminar on “Let’s Take Back Liberalism: Understanding & Communicating the Idea of Liberty.” We as the International Federation of Liberal Youth (IFLRY) are organizing this event in cooperation with the International Democratic Initiative (IDI) of the D66 Party of the Netherlands as well as our local partners of Free Thought Forum (FTF). The seminar will take place in Jordan from 06—09 December 2018.
The event will introduce and train young activists from different backgrounds in the ideas if liberalism and the promotion of individual liberty, democracy, and human rights. Moreover, it will tackle the question of communicating the different aspects of liberalism in environments and contexts where norms, conventions, and language inhibit a successful dissemination of liberal ideas. The goals and objectives can be summarized as follows:
- provide youth activists with a thorough understanding of liberal political theory by discussing the core aspects of liberal ideology and showing the relevance of liberal ideas for their local communities—and their very own political work.
- enable youth activists to indicate and discuss the tensions in liberal political thought.
- provide them with a platform to discuss their experiences in the communication of liberal ideas.
- gain insight into the norms, conventions, and language more generally that prohibit the successful communication of liberal ideas.
- discuss the possibilities of changing prejudices and negative connotations that are associated with liberalism.
- provide the youth activists with the tools and skills necessary to develop a communication strategy that aims at countering these negative connotations.
- encourage youth activists to take initiative and to implement the outcomes of this seminar in their regional communities.
The application is targeting young people from Jordan and selected participants from the Middle East and North Africa (ideally representing AYUFD member organizations) as well as selected international applicants that displaying a particular interest in the topic and or have relevant past experiences with the issue.
All participation costs will be covered by organizers. If you are interested to participate, please fill in the application form by 20 November 2018.
We are looking forward to receiving your applications for this event!